Wednesday, January 21, 2009

People Watcher

One of my most favorite hobbies is to sit back in a crowd and watch everyone around me. Whether I know them or not, though to tell you the truth, watching someone you don't know at all is so much more interesting. You can make up stories about their lives and what they are doing and where they are going, and perhaps even who they may know in the group of people close by.

Here I sit in one of the numerous computer rooms on campus, and I can't help but glance around the room at the hodge podge of people paying homage to the warm soft glow of the monitors. To my right for instance, is a greasier looking guy who definitely needs a shower. But I see him glancing ever so secretly at the girl across from us and two seats down. The girl who is heavily pierced and looks a little greasy herself. And not in that, I'm-sexy-I-don't-need-showers, type of way. So I think they belong together. I keep waiting for her to catch his eye and dirty little sparks to fly between them.

But in all honestly, she could quite possibly be a lesbian. And then I want to see her defend her nazi-feminist regime to all that defy her; she's definitely not a lipstick lesbian. Which honestly, this world could use more of.

My fingers are freezing to the keyboard, as my college is trying to cut costs everywhere but in the sports arena, and the heat has been turned off in certain buildings or lowered to such temperatures that "heat" is an oxymoron. So I will slough on my warm winter jacket (thank you Demon, darling) and trudge up the Hill for yet another class.

All the while, my little dog is keeping my bed warm and mocking me for entering the frozen air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a former "purse holder" I now enjoy seeing sad men sitting on the benches in the mall not making eye contact with another male. You know what I am talking about. All those men out there who's wives have thrust their purse or shopping bags into their unsuspecting arms and dart off into a shop. Occasionally 2 purse holders eyes actually make contact from looking at the floor and exchanged ashamed glances nodding slightly.