Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Time To Go

"No." She cradled the phone between her ear and shoulder, listening to her mother talking incessantly about things that mattered to no one.

"I'm just saying, sweetie, it would be nice to have you around more often. We can, well, monitor you better. Watch your condition."

"My condition is fine. I think I'm just going to hang around here for awhile." As she spoke, only half listening, she shoved random clothes into her backpack.

"Well, maybe all of us can come up to see you. You know, the entire family." That is the last fucking thing I need, she thought.

"No, mom. Really. I just need some peace and quiet." Her dog looked up at her, tilting her head inquisitively as her owner continued packing her necessary belongings.

"Alright, honey. But I wish you would call more. It's like we never hear from you anymore..." Her tears had dried on her cheeks already, forcing herself to stop when her mother called. She just needed to get out for awhile. For a long while.

"I know. I'll try. Don't worry. Mom, I need to go right now, though. I'm pretty tired."

"Of course. Goodnight. Make sure you take your pills."

"I will. Goodnight." She clicked the phone shut, not waiting for a never ending goodbye speech. Opening up the bottom drawer of the jewelry box her grandfather made her, she removed the four things she could never part with. They were placed gently in the outside pocket of her bag, then she wrapped tissue paper around them.

The plane ticket was on the bed. She was going. She was leaving. She was telling no one. It was what she always wanted.

Adventure was hers.

As she closed her apartment door and locked it, she never even looked back.

1 comment:

The Demon said...

No setup, no prologue, and no real conclusion. I love you.